The main attack of many viruses of the windows OS is on its registry. And therefore, many problems caused by a virus can be solved by editing the windows registry. However, viruses have started to disable regedit – the windows registry editing tool and therefore leave the user no option. But there are ways to enable the windows registry tool which I’m going to discuss below. One can follow any one of the following ways if there registry has been disabled by a virus:
- Goto START->RUN and type:
REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableRegistryTools /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
and press enter. It will enable the registry tools instantaneously.
- START->RUN and type “gpedit.msc” and press enter.
- Go to the following location: User Configuration -> Administrative Templates-> System.
- In the Settings Column, find “Prevent Access to Registry Editing Tools” and double-click on it to change.
- Choose “Disabled” or “Not configured” and click OK.
- Close the Group Policy Editor Window.
- Restart the computer.