You can buy a domain name in many ways but I’ll tell you one of the easiest ways. I use namecheap.com for buying domains because it is easy to use and reliable. Another place where you can buy domains is godaddy.com but it is not recommended because godaddy can suspend your domain name at any time if any complain for spamming has been registered. Also there are many other websites where you can buy domains but I recommend namecheap especially for beginners. Now, if you are ready to buy a domain from namecheap, just follow the following steps:
- Go to Namecheap and create a new user account.
- Then click on the link “Register a domain” and in the search box that comes below, type whatever the domain name that you want to buy.
- If your domain name is available, reports on the domain availability will be displayed. You can only buy a domain if only it is available. So, if your domain is not available, think of another domain name and when you finally got an available domain, follow the remaining steps.
- Tick on the domain name that you want and click the button “Add to cart” (below). With that, you will be redirected to a new page.
- In the next page, there is a coupon system. If you have any coupon, you can apply it here (Namecheap coupons here). Now, you click the standard express button which is on the middle right side of the page.
- If you are not logged in, you will be asked to log in. And then, you will be redirected to a page where you need to enter your information. Enter the details and click the button “Continue to options” which is located at the bottom left.
- Now, you can check or uncheck the “whoisguard” facility. If you want to keep your privacy, you should check the button. Then click “Continue to options” again and it will take you to your name server setup page.
- If you already have a hosting account, enter the name servers of your hosting account here and if not, just leave it and click the “Continue Checkout” button.
- Then a payment option page will come where you can either choose Paypal or Credit Card as the payment mode. Choose whatever you prefer and then enter the details. In case of Paypal you will be asked to log in first. After you log in just click the “pay” button to finish the registration. After this your registration is complete and the domain name is now yours.
Now, you can enter the name servers of your hosting account and your site will be active in minutes. If you don’t know how to change the name servers of your domain, read this article on “How to change the name server of your domain name?”. After that you can start making your website and uploading files through your Cpanel or your FTP Client.
Setting up your hosting account
If you already have a hosting account, you can follow the steps below. If you don’t it’s easy to buy a new hosting account with your domain name as the hostname. Just give the name of your domain during the registration for your hosting account and your hosting account will be configured by your host personals (In case you haven’t pointed the nameservers to your host, you need to change the nameservers too). No9w, if you already have a hosting account and if you want to add a domain as an addon domain, follow the following steps:
- Point the nameservers of your domain to your hosting account, For more details on nameservers, read the article on “How to change the name server of your domain name?”.
- Log into your cpanel. In your cpanel homepage, find “Add on Domains” and click it.
- In the next page, you will be asked to enter the domain name. Just enter the new domain name without “www” eg. “waikhom.com” and enter a password and submit the form.
Then, you are done, Your domain will be active soon. However, it may take from 5 minutes to 24 hours depending on the services that you use. So, be patient and wait for the domain to be active.